Do you ever feel all tangled up in all the things you have to do? Or tangled in relational mire, financial stress or bad habits that seem to take over an otherwise good day?
LAYING ASIDE ALL THAT ENTANGLES
Today is Day 7 of December’s path. The verse on the 30 days of sparkle is:
“Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Hebrews 12:1
To hinder means to hold back or delay, to make slow or difficult the progress of.
What is holding you back today?
During December we might think of the obvious things like eating too much, drinking too much or spending too much. But let’s look a little deeper into something that will hinder you faster than all those things combined–Expectations.
What do you expect? What are your expectations for Christmas, your loved ones, your gifts, etc…. Is this time of the year filled with unrealistic or selfish expecting?
Maybe, just maybe, expecting the wrong things to fill us actually empties us.
Today I challenge you as I challenge myself, to take a look into my thoughts, expectations and desires. Asking myself these questions:
- Do I need this?
- Will it really satisfy the long term?
- Are my thoughts self-absorbed? What can I get? What can my kids get?
- Am I too focused on the sales, the lists and the glitter of spending?
- Am I thinking of others outside of my family?
- Have I bought into the romanticism of Christmas and missed relationship with Christ?
- Am I expecting my spouse to be a mind reader, buy me the perfect gift, be a Lexus bearing Santa?
- Is everything hinging on one day?
- Am I grieving and staying within, when focus on Christ can help me live to appreciate what I have now?
May I suggest that we all have things that hold us back emotionally during the holidays. We also have things that block us or distract us from spiritual truths. Let’s shake them off girls! Shake them off!
looking inward for things to let go of,